8.09.2007

My perverse fantasy

Involves living in a city that does not require me to own a car. I hate driving. The city I currentlly live in is for all intents and purposes a pretty walkable city. Except that it's not. There are huge patches of dead zone. There is no pedestrian culture. And I bike sometimes, but because it lacks a pedestrian culture, I also think it lacks an understanding of bike culture. (Also, I am getting lazy in my old age, and this city is surprisingly hilly...not SF hilly, but more like long continuous hills. At least in SF I could figure out a route with the fewest and shortest hills. And if I got really daunted, I would get off and walk.)

Anyway, this site is cool, though its measurement of what constitutes making a neighborhood walkable is a bit different than what I would use as a measurement device. But then, I am a social science nerd who is constantly trying to show why data are faulty. (For example, the site includes items like Starbucks as markers of things that are within walking distance. I do not consider Starbucks' proximity to my home an attribute.)

Still, for future moves it may be useful. Though the truth is, I'm not sure I need an online tool to help me figure out if my neighborhood is walkable. I don't plan on living in the suburbs anytime soon...hell, NEVER. (Yeah, I fear famous last words...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.