6.03.2007

The next step...finally coming to pass

Grant #1 just came through. Unlike the subsequent grants I submitted, this one was done with no assistance from anyone. My sociopathic advisor was conveniently unavailable as I was trying to pull this together. I don't think she even read it. But of course, now that I've gotten the money, it looks good for her -- not that she needs the recognition. As numerous people from whom I have sought counsel when the sociopath was too much to bear have pointed out, the sociopath is a STAR. So, given that I don't have a lot of alternatives, I stick with it, even though working with her feels like a bipolar nightmare of ups and downs and regular emotional thrashings. She tends to operate on the passive aggressive neglectful approach, until moments like now, when suddenly my ideas are legitimated by external funding sources. Wait...where was I? RIGHT...my accomplishments.

The great thing is that now I can leave this mid-sized east coast city a lot sooner than I had thought. It's scary. It means I really am going to do this research thing. It also means that after living here longer than anywhere else since childhood, I am going to leave. It's both liberating and terribly frightening. It's like a return to the real world. I feel like I've been on hiatus for the last half decade, even though I've tried not to think of it that way. Real life is happening all the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.